Thursday, April 26, 2012

Brian's Homestudy Interview


As Andy posted yesterday, we've both completed our homestudy interviews!  While Andy went first, I setup shop in a nearby Starbucks and got to work on a variety of things.  I worked on some edits to my autobiography from Katie, started some preliminary research on fetal alcohol exposure, and then took about 30 minutes to relax by finishing the last 40 pages of the Hunger Games trilogy.

Heading into the interview, Katie started things off by asking me a similar version of Andy's favorite question "What traits would you use to describe yourself?"  Thinking back to elementary school, I'm pretty sure that everyone has taken their first name and used each letter to represent the first letter of various traits that represent who you are.  Unfortunately, I didn't remember any of them right off, but I think I muddled through everything just fine  :)

Like Andy's interview, we talked a lot about my personal background, history, and feelings.  Not being a big talker, it was interesting having a large expanse of time with Katie where I was expected to be mentally on and going 100% full time.  In other words, I didn't have Andy around to use as a shield if a question stumped me or if I couldn't come up with the right words to explain something.  In the end, I think I hit on the themes that I'm somewhat introverted (great excuse for an interview setting!), that I've been extremely lucky to have great parents and a great husband, and that I'm totally ready to have kids.


Adoption Process
  • Information Meeting
  • Pre-Adoption Seminar
  • Application Submission
  • Application & Intake Interview
  • Homestudy Interview #1
  • Homestudy Interview #2
  • Homestudy Interview #3
  • Homestudy Interview #4
  • Homestudy Completion
  • Pool Entry
Taking a look back at the adoption process we outlined several weeks ago, we've taken a big leap towards getting into the waiting pool of families.  After a seminar, 5 interviews, mountains of paperwork, FBI background checks, and many other things, we still have a long ways to go before pool entry.  However, it definitely feels good to look back at how far we've made it in just a few short months.

No comments:

Post a Comment